VEGAN CARAMEL SLICE
Craving a bit of caramel slice but without the dairy, gluten* or refined sugars?
Then I have you sorted!
I have been craving a delicious caramel slice for ages, so I finally put my baking skills to the test to find a recipe that satisfied my sweet tooth without upsetting my stomach – and these are a winner!
Caramel-y, gooey, and with a perfect crunchy base…but without the sickly sweetness. These are perfect for any afternoon entertaining.
Baked or raw
¾ C rolled oats or ground almonds* (GF if avoiding oats)
¾ C coconut desiccated
6 pitted dates
½ C raw almonds
6-8 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp cacao powder (if you desire)
1. Preheat oven to 180C (if baking) and line a baking dish with baking paper
2. Soak the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and add to the mix
3. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until it forms a crumble that’s a little chunky
4. Spread the mixture evenly into the lined tin and flatten with a spoon
Raw: Place in the fridge to set
Baked: Using a fork poke holes into the slice and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until it turns golden (it will harden further once cooled)
1 C pitted dates
2 C natural cashews
½ C coconut oil
¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Soak the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes
2. Drain the dates and combine with the cashews in a mixer/processor until fine and sticky
3. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until it forms a gooey texture (I prefer the handheld mixer for this to mix it all evenly)
1 C cacao butter
1 C cacao powder
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Melt the cacao butter over a double boiler
2. Once melted add the cacao powder and maple syrup and mix thoroughly
*Sometimes I cheat and buy the Loving Earth vegan chocolate, melt it and pour over the caramel layer.
THE FINAL MASTERPIECE
Once the base has cooled/solidified, spread the caramel layer over evenly, finished by pouring the chocolate over the top….and enjoy the gooey deliciousness!